Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Home Alone

I haven't written anything here for a while though things were very slow for us till this week. Kev and I spent few weeks together just relaxing and doing some errands. I guess that was first time since we got married last year. And now, I've been spending few days by myself, he's away for work since Monday night. Again this is first time that he's away for more than a night. Staying here by myself feels weird.
Yesterday I went to see my friends and had dim sum. After that I went to Korean super market and got some familiar foods. ("shiosaba"!) Today I went to Japanese grocery stores and got more familiar stuff. I bought some "onigiri" and "kinpira" for lunch. Lately I miss Japanese home food very very much. So I've been making something like "sunomono" "tonkatsu" "yakisoba" or "korokke"... I wanna eat "hijiki"... dunno how to make it though.
Maybe tomorrow I will make either "sho-gayaki" or "nikujaga". It's hard to find thin sliced meet in regular super marker here. So I have to slice thick pork to make sho-gayaki or no meet nikujaga...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can make Korokke easier with oven.you put(kakeru?)a coffee spoon of oil over each Korokke,and burn them about 20 minutes on(??)250C(do).mmm...I'm not sure if you understand my english... But try it,it's healthier and easier than deep fry. I always do that way "Agemono" except Tenpura.

Atsuko said...

Korokke, I do make often here. (my mom's recipe!) they are small so I just deep fry them though I do bake tonkatsu in the oven. I need to look for hijiki and figure out how to make it. I would just ask my mom. :D so it would be same flavour as I used to eat!
how are you Keiko san??? How's Tomo kun?

papaya said...

For thinly sliced meats, you can find them at a Korean or Chinese supermarket, a lot of them sell them frozen - they have thinly sliced beef, pork, lamb, etc... I just buy them and separate them into smaller portions and leave them in the freezer since I don't get to those specialized markets very often.

I think you can get hijiki at Japanese grocery store? I've been craving my mom's too hahaha...

Atsuko said...

thanks papaya!
I will go to Pat central and look for them!